How many artists have joined our mission to end extreme poverty over the past 10 years? The answer may surprise you.
In case you missed it, over the past five weeks our lovely Global Citizen social media team has been concocting some tricky trivia questions for you over on our Instagram in the lead-up to this year’s Global Citizen Festival. It’s all in preparation for Global Citizen Festival 2022, taking place on Sept. 24 in NYC and, for the first time ever, Accra, Ghana.
This year marks the 10 anniversary of Global Citizen bringing together artists and activists on the Central Park stage. In those 10 years, we’ve seen some truly memorable moments.
From incredible commitments toward our mission of ending poverty to iconic performances from a whole host of talented changemakers, it’s been quite the scenic journey getting here, and we’re so grateful you came along for the ride.
But just as the show must go on, so does the work. Global Citizen Festival 2022 will be a night of celebration but also an opportunity to send a message to world leaders to take action toward ending extreme poverty NOW.
This year’s festival takes place amid the United Nations General Assembly in September, and the G20 Summit and COP27 in November. We’re calling on world leaders to step up and invest $600 million into the future of women and girls, close the annual $10 billion climate financing shortfall, deliver $500 million to help farmers in Africa respond to the global food crisis, and provide urgent relief from crushing debts.
It’s a tall order, but as the past 10 years have shown us, we have the power to enact great change together. So keep signing those petitions and emailing those leaders, tune in to Global Citizen Festival 2022 (and host a watch party!) to see how your actions can change the world.
Now, let’s get into it. Test your Global Citizen Festival knowledge with our trivia questions covering the past 10 years. All answers will be revealed at the bottom of this article.
1. Over the past decade, Global Citizens have taken how many actions?
A. 2.6 million
B. 12.7 million
C. 23.3 million
D. 30.4 million
2. Coldplay frontman and Global Citizen International Festival Curator Chris Martin has collaborated with all but one of the following artists on the festival stage. Show me the lie:
A. Ariana Grande
B. Ed Sheeran
D. Billie Eilish
3. Which year did Beyonce and Ed Sheeran perform “Drunk in Love” together on the Global Citizen Festival stage?
D. Trick question — never!
4. Guess Who: Who joined 2016 Global Citizen Festival host Hugh Jackman on stage on a bicycle built for two?
A. Chelsea Handler
C. Eddie Vedder
D. Ellie Goulding
5. How many people have attended Global Citizen Festivals over the past 10 years?
D. 1 million
6. Guess Who: Who joined Jay-Z on stage at the 2014 Global Citizen Festival?
B. Alicia Keys
C. Carrie Underwood
D. No Doubt
7. Which of these performers hasn’t yet performed at Global Citizen Festival?
A. Janelle Monáe
B. Elton John
D. Mariah Carey
8. Michelle Obama, Malala, Beyoncé — what year did all of these incredible women grace the Global Citizen Festival stage?
9. In the past 10 years, how many total artists have appeared on our festival stage?
10. Guess Who: Who joined Queen on stage for their 2019 set at Global Citizen Festival?
A. Carole King
B. Adam Lambert
C. Pharrell Williams
11. All but one of these cities hosted Global Citizen Live in 2021. Name the outlier!
12. Which incredible artist from the 2021 Global Citizen Live lineup in New York City took a moment during their set to discuss the history of Seneca Village and institutional racism?
B. Jennifer Lopez
C. Billie Eilish
D. Alessia Cara
13. In the past 10 years, how many world leaders and dignitaries have appeared on our festival stage?
14. Which year did K-pop supergroup BTS kick off the festival?
15. In 2019, Carole King performed in Central Park for the first time since 1973 with which pop powerhouse?
B. Kelly Clarkson
C. Ariana Grande
D. Selena Gomez
16. Pharrell got the crowd feeling “Happy” at Global Citizen Festival all but one of the following years. Which one?
17. In 2021, who joined Elton John on the Global Citizen Live stage in Paris?
A. Charlie Puth
B. Doja Cat
C. Angélique Kidjo
D. Ed Sheeran
18. Which year did Foo Fighters first play on the Global Citizen Festival stage?
D. They haven’t played our stage yet!
19. Over the past decade, the actions taken by Global Citizens have impacted ____ lives?
A. 1.15 million
B. 6.3 million
C. 1.15 billion
D. 7.4 billion
20. Alicia Keys has played Global Citizen Festival all but one of the following years:
1. D. 30.4 million actions. With your actions we’ve been able to impact over 1 billion lives and distribute $41.4 billion. That’s a lot of change!
2. C. Metallica. Chris Martin has joined our spectacular artists on stage over the years (who could forget the Billie x FINNEAS x Coldplay collab of Global Citizen Live?) but not yet Metallica — whom we’re excited to welcome back to the Global Citizen Festival stage this year!
3. B. Global Citizen Festival 2015. Iconic.
4. A. None other than comedian Chelsea Handler! Who could ever forget that rap?
5. D. 1 million. That’s a million Global Citizens taking action and earning free tickets to our events!
6. A. Beyoncé. Queen Bey herself! Talk about a power couple.
7. D. Mariah Carey. The New York native superstar will be joining the Global Citizen Festival stage for the first time at this year’s festival on Sept. 24!
8. C. 2015. What. A. Night. Three iconic women all on one stage? And who could forget the viral moment when Beyoncé and Michelle hugged? Not us!
9. B. 500 artists. That’s 500 artists who donated their time toward our mission of ending extreme poverty and promoting equality for all.
10. B. Adam Lambert. The vocal powerhouse truly rocks every stage with Queen + Adam Lambert, ever since he started touring with the iconic band in 2014. Chef’s kiss.
11. D. Accra. The Ghanaian capital city will be hosting the Global Citizen Festival stage for the first time this year with performances from Usher, Gyakie, Sarkodie, Stonebwoy, Stormzy, SZA, and TEMS. Don’t miss it!
12. A. Lizzo. Between energetic and uplifting sets, Lizzo took a moment to educate the crowd of an important historical part of NYC and Central Park.
13. D. 282. With your actions and dedication, we’ve been able to bring 282 world leaders and dignitaries to our stage to announce vital commitments and pledge their support to our missions of defeating poverty, demanding equity, and defending the planet.
15. B. Kelly Clarkson. Their performance of “Where You Lead” is everything.
16. A. 2016. That’s three years of incredible performances from the incredible changemaker! That makes us “Happy.”
17. A. Charlie Puth. The two performed their new song “After All” together in front of the Eiffel Tower at Global Citizen Live 2021. Catch Charlie Puth again this year at Global Citizen Festival: NYC!
18. C. 2012. Foo Fighters rocked the park in 2012 along with Neil Young with Crazy Horse, The Black Keys, Band of Horses, and K’Naan.
19. C. 1.15 billion lives. Through funding and commitments toward education, poverty relief, hunger aid, and more, Global Citizens have impacted the lives of 1.15 billion people so far.
20. D. 2021. Alicia Keys has joined the Global Citizen Festival stage three separate times, standing up for women and girls living in extreme poverty, racial equality, and the eradication of AIDS.
Editor’s note: Liv Smith, Rosie Sherman, and Camille May contributed to this story.
Global Citizen Festival is calling on world leaders, corporations, and philanthropists to do more than they’ve ever done before to End Extreme Poverty NOW. Through our global campaign and with stages in two iconic locations — NYC’s Central Park and Accra’s Black Star Square — we will unite leaders, artists, activists, and Global Citizens around the world on Sept. 24 to achieve an ambitious policy agenda focused on empowering girls and women, taking climate action, breaking systemic barriers, and lifting up activists and advocates. Wherever you are in the world, you can join the campaign and take action right now by downloading the Global Citizen app.