John Legend to Help Honor Activists at the Global Citizen Prize Show in December
The program, which will give awards in five categories, to be televised in the US, the UK.
Every January, the world celebrates amazing musicians with the Grammy Awards. And in February, actors and directors, and everyone else who helps create Hollywood’s best films, come together for the Academy Awards.
And now in December, Global Citizen will be celebrating the world’s top activists with the Global Citizen Prize, a ceremony that honors individuals taking action to end extreme poverty.
Taking place in London’s Royal Albert Hall on Dec. 13, the show will be hosted by John Legend and feature special musical collaborations. The Global Citizen Prize recognizes remarkable change-makers working to take exceptional actions to end extreme poverty in their own communities and foster social change across the globe. The prize will air in the US and UK later in December.
Read More: Global Citizen Prize
For the first time, this year’s Global Citizen Prize will be recognized across five categories — Cisco Youth Leadership Award, Artist, World Leader, Business Leader, and Global Citizen of the Year:
- The Cisco Youth Leadership Award honors an individual aged 18-30 who has contributed meaningfully toward the goal of ending extreme poverty. The award, sponsored by Cisco, includes a $250,000 prize paid to the organization through which the individual has achieved impact.
- The Artist award honors a creative individual or group who uses their platform and their work to create change not only through conversation but meaningful impact. The award includes a $150,000 prize paid to the organization through which the individual has achieved impact.
- The Business Leader award honors an individual in the business community who has combined business goals with positive human impact.
- The World Leader award honors an individual in the political or advocacy space who has advocated for and implemented policy changes that have actionably improved the lives of those suffering the effects of poverty.
- The Global Citizen of the Year Award honors an individual who has proven exceptional and sustained impact towards the goal of ending extreme poverty. This individual’s body of work must be extraordinary in its scope.
The Global Citizen Prize was launched in 2018 for the categories of World Leader and Youth Leadership and presented live on stage at the Global Citizen Festival: Mandela 100 in Johannesburg, South Africa, to Prime Minister Erna Solberg of Norway, musician Annie Lennox, and food and nutrition activist Wawira Njiru of Kenya.
The broadcast will air in the US on Friday, Dec. 20, at 8 p.m. on NBC, and Saturday, Dec. 21 at 7 p.m. on Sky TV in the UK. It will also air in the US on MSNBC Dec. 22 and on Dec. 31.
Proud partners of the Global Citizen Prize include Comcast NBCUniversal, MSNBC, Cisco, Johnson & Johnson, Citi, Live Nation, Reckitt Benckiser (RB), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the Motsepe Foundation.