These 7 Feminist Quotes Show Why Ariana Grande Is the Hero We Need
“We are not objects or prizes. We are QUEENS.”
The Women’s March that saw more than 4 million people take to the streets has breathed a new life into an already powerful movement of women taking back their voices and fighting the patriarchy.
Largely absent from that press coverage?
Grande has been on the front lines of the fight against the patriarchy for years, and her contributions to feminism have largely flown under the radar. In an era of scandals and feuds, Grande has consistently preached solidarity and girl power above everything else.
She attended the Women’s March with her mother and grandmother, both of whom were feminists before her.
She’s been leading the way with her big voice, whether that’s standing up to blatant sexism directed at her or supporting a fellow artist who’s dealing with the fallout of a highly-publicized sexual violence case.
These 7 quotes from the award-winning singer show just how committed she is to the cause of feminism.
1. “The incredible double standards that we [women] face on a daily basis, in the industry and just in the world, it’s shocking.”
Ariana stood up for fellow female singer, Ke$ha, after it was revealed that she had been sexually assaulted by her doctor.
2. “I...do not. Belong. To anyone. But myself. And neither do you.”
She’s more than just “Big Sean’s girlfriend,” and wants the world to know that.
3. “The things that make us different from one another are the things that make us BEAUTIFUL.”
In 2015, Ariana shut down an instagram body-shamer in a livid tweet.
4. “We are not objects or prizes. We are QUEENS.”
A so-called “fan” congratulated Ariana’s boyfriend for “hitting that,” and our hero was not going to put up with that sort of language.
5. “Every woman has a struggle / And every struggle’s real / But just try and write a song that captures / Every woman’s deal”
She brought the house down in this hilariously-accurate SNL skit.
6. “I'm going to be the lady my mother raised and carry myself with class and dignity... But I will never be any man's press opportunity."
When an ex went on a Youtube rant about the singer early in her career, Ariana took the high road.
7. “If you’re going to rave about how sexy a male artist looks with his shirt off, and a woman decides to get in her panties or show her boobies for a photo shoot, she needs to be treated with the same awe and admiration.”
In an interview with Billboard, Ariana brought up the hypocrisies of sexual portrayal that exist in US popular culture.
Girls & Women
50 Girls Hospitalized After FGM in Burkina Faso, Dozens Arrested in Crackdown
Girls as young as 10 months old were hospitalized after undergoing FGM. Read More
Girls & Women
13 Amazing Coming of Age Traditions From Around the World
Embarrassing or amazing, coming of age traditions are pivotal moments in everyone's life. Read More
Girls & Women
A 6-Year-Old Girl Was Traded to a 55-Year-Old Man for a Goat
Faced with a starving family, her father gave away his 6-year-old daughter in exchange for food. Read More