Global Citizen is a community of people like you

People who want to learn about and take action on the world’s biggest challenges. Extreme poverty ends with you.

A displaced Yemeni family, who fled their home from the fighting at the port city of Hodeida, sit in a school allocated for IDPs in Sanaa, Yemen, Jun. 23, 2018.
Hani Mohammed/AP
Food & Hunger

Yemen Close to Famine After Port City Comes Under Attack

By Heba Kanso

BEIRUT, July 23 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) — Yemen is close to famine after a 25% increase in levels of severe hunger this year and an offensive on the main port city of Hodeidah, a lifeline for millions, humanitarian organizations warned on Monday.

Thousands more people have been displaced by the conflict and many are having to skip meals and beg on the streets, they said, with an estimated 8.4 million people already on the verge of starvation.

Take Action: Sign the Year of Mandela Declaration and Commit to Be the Generation to End Extreme Poverty

"We perceive the country to be sitting on a knife edge in terms of famine — it could tip at any time really," Suze van Meegen, spokeswoman for the Norwegian Refugee Council, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation by phone from the capital, Sanaa.

"The desperation we are seeing is becoming greater — more people are begging in the streets."

The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said 4 in every 10 children under 5 years old were now acutely malnourished, and put the number of people displaced since the Hodeidah offensive began at 200,000.

"Averting famine in Yemen will be contingent on the ability of WFP and other humanity agencies to reach the populations in need to sustain humanitarian assistance," said Stephen Anderson, Yemen country director for the WFP, by phone from Sanaa.

The United Nations said last year there were "famine-like" conditions in parts of Yemen, but that not all the criteria had been met.

For famine to be declared, more than 20% of the population must be unable to feed themselves, with 30% or more of children under five suffering acute malnutrition and doubling in the rate of mortality, the UN said at the time.

Read More: These 2 Men Helped 10 Million Children in a Phenomenal Effort Against Malnutrition​​​​​​​

The offensive on Hodeidah was led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates and launched the largest battle in a conflict that has killed more than 10,000 people.

The war has caused the world's most urgent humanitarian crisis, with 22 million Yemenis dependent on aid.

Van Meegen said it was calm in Hodeidah city, but heavy fighting south of the city was causing civilian deaths and driving people from their homes.

The Saudi-led military coalition fighting the Iran-backed Houthi movement had previously closed the port, the country's main entry point for food, fuel and humanitarian supplies.

In June, WFP was able to bring in three ships containing enough food for 6 million people for one month.

Anderson said the prospect of the ports closing again was a "major concern".

(Reporting by Heba Kanso @hebakanso, editing by Claire Cozens. Please credit Thomson Reuters Foundation, the charitable arm of Thomson Reuters, that covers humanitarian news, women's rights, trafficking, property rights, and climate change. Visit www.trust.org)