11 Spectacular Photos from Around the World This Week
Marching in DC, Spain, and more.
This past weekend, Washington D.C. and other major cities around the world were flooded with people as activists took to the streets to call for gun reform in the "March For Our Lives." Across the Atlantic, Spanish cities were crowded with protesters and revelers alike, as Catalonian separatists called for independence in Barcelona and Catholics celebrated the beginning of Semana Santa.
Humans also showed solidarity with the environment, turning off the lights around the world in celebration of Earth Day as a spring dust storm blacked out the city of Beijing.
Global Citizen is bringing you these photos and more from around the world this week:
1) March for Our Lives: People in the crowd raise their hands after speaker Zion Kelly, of Washington, who lost his twin brother Zaire to gun violence in the nation's capital in 2017, asks members of the audience to raise their hands if they've been affected by gun violence during the "March for Our Lives" rally in support of gun control in Washington, DC, March 24.
2) Protest for Catalonian Independence: A pro independence demonstrator holds a poster with of a photo of deposed leader of Catalonia's pro-independence party Carles Puigdemont, during a protest in Barcelona, Spain, March 25. Puigdemont was arrested Sunday by German police on an international warrant as he tried to enter the country from Denmark.
3) Syria: Syrian civilians and rebel fighters evacuated from Eastern Ghouta look from out the windows and door of a bus after arriving to a government-held area at the entrance of Harasta on the outskirts of the capital Damascus, on March 25.
4) Student Activism Against Gun Violence: Emma Gonzalez, a survivor of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., closes her eyes and cries as she stands silently at the podium during for the "March for Our Lives" rally in support of gun control in Washington, DC, March 24, for the amount of time it took the Parkland shooter to go on his killing spree.
5) Earth Hour: A man and two children light candles after the building lights were switched off for the Earth Hour environmental campaign in Dubai on March 24. Earth Hour, which started in Australia in 2007, is set to be observed by millions of supporters in 187 countries, who will turn off their lights at 8.30pm local time in what organizers describe as the world's "largest grassroots movement for climate change."
6) Cambodia Daily Life: Cambodian fishermen are silhouetted as they head home after catching fish at Boeung Thom lake at the outskirts of Phnom Penh, Cambodia on March 24.
7) Holy Week in Spain: Penitents take part in the procession of the "Exaltacion de La Santa Cruz" brotherhood, during Holy Week in Zaragoza, northern Spain on March 29. Hundreds of processions take place throughout Spain during the Easter Holy Week.
8) Dust Storm in China: Dust envelops the skyscrapers in the central business district in Beijing on March 28. A spring dust storm sent air quality indices soaring in China's capital on Wednesday.
9) Russian Mall Fire Memorial: People stand near floral tributes left outside the Russian embassy on March 29, 2018 in Tallinn, Estonia. A fire ripped through the upper floors of the Winter Cherry shopping mall in Kemerovo, Russia leaving 64 people dead including 41 children on March 25.
Sir Paul McCartney joins thousands of demonstrators, many of them students, for #MarchForOurLives in New York City. More than 800 marches are taking place around the world to call for legislative action to address school safety and gun violence. _ 📷: @plattys1/Getty Images | @drewangerer/Getty Images | #NewYorkCity #Enough
10) March for Our Lives, New York: Sir Paul McCartney joins thousands of demonstrators, many of them students, for the March For Our Lives in New York City. More than 800 marches are taking place around the world to call for legislative action to address school safety and gun violence.
11) Cherry Blossom Season in Japan: A visitor wearing traditional Japanese kimono strolls under the cherry blossoms in Tokyo on March 29. The cherry blossom season marks the arrival of spring for the Japanese.