We all hear that voting is important, but it can be easy to feel discouraged and forget the true significance of your participation in elections.
Voting is essential because it pushes a country's democracy to function in a fair and equal way. The whole point of a democracy is to ensure that everyone has their chance to elect a candidate and vote for policies that represent and benefit their communities.
These 15 insightful quotes from influential people around the world will remind you why voting is important, why your voice matters, and why you should cast your ballot on — or ahead of — Election Day.
1. “You’ve got to vote, vote, vote, vote. That’s it; that’s the way we move forward.”
— Michelle Obama, attorney, author, and former First Lady of the United States from 2009 to 2017
2. “The vote is precious. It is the most powerful non-violent tool we have in a democratic society, and we must use it.”
— John Lewis, late civil rights activist and member of the US House of Representatives for Georgia
3. “It's not enough to just want change ... You have to go and make change by voting."
— Taylor Swift, singer-songwriter and country-pop star
4. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
— Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate
5. “Your voices are being heard and you’re proving to our ancestors that their struggles were not in vain. Now we have one more thing we need to do to walk in our true power, and that is to vote."
— Beyoncé, Grammy Award-winning singer and artist
6. "All of us may have been created equal. But we'll never actually be equal until we all vote. So don't wait."
— Leonardo DiCaprio, actor and producer
7. “Someone struggled for your right to vote. Use it.”
— Susan B. Anthony, women’s rights activist during the suffragette movement in the early 20th century.
8. “When we vote, our values are put into action and our voices are heard. Your voice is a reminder that you matter because you do, and you deserve to be heard."
— Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex
9. “There’s no such thing as a vote that doesn’t matter. It all matters.”
— Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States from 2009 to 2017
10. "We have the power to make a difference. But we need to VOTE."
— Kylie Jenner, media personality and entrepreneur
11. “The ballot is stronger than the bullet.”
— Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States from 1861 to 1865
12. "We all have to vote like our lives and the world depend on it, because they do. The only way to be certain of the future is to make it ourselves."
— Billie Eilish, singer-songwriter
13. “Casting a ballot isn't just something you do for yourself — it's for our collective future.”
— Oprah Winfrey, TV producer, actress, and author
14. “Our nation is asking to hear your voice because November is coming and so is your choice. Do not throw away your shot.”
— Lin-Manuel Miranda, composer, actor, singer, playwright, and creator of Hamilton
15. “Your voice will be heard. And speaking as a bit of a singer myself, I know that can be a pretty good feeling."
— Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam frontman and Global Citizen Advocate
Global Citizen and HeadCount have teamed up to launch Just Vote, a campaign mobilizing young Americans to register to vote ahead of the 2020 election and beyond. As part of the campaign, your favorite artists and entertainers are offering exclusive experiences, performances, and memorabilia — and they can only be unlocked once eligible voters check their voter registration status. Learn more about Just Vote and how you can take action here.