Global Citizen is a community of people like you

People who want to learn about and take action on the world’s biggest challenges. Extreme poverty ends with you.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has sent an envoy of diplomats to several African countries in a bid to save South Africa's reputation following xenophobia attacks.
GCIS/Flickr.
Citizenship

South Africa Deploys Envoys Across Africa in Wake of Deadly Xenophobic Attacks

By Thuso Khumalo

South Africa has sent out special envoys to explain the government’s position on the recent wave of attacks on foreign nationals and their businesses.

The country has come under criticism for failing to quickly end the attacks that left 12 people dead, hundreds displaced, and property worth millions of rands looted or destroyed.

President Cyril Ramaphosa says South Africans are not xenophobic and he wants the rest of Africa to know this.

Ramaphosa says diplomats have been dispatched to several African countries, including Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Tanzania, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Zambia, with a clear mandate of repairing the country’s image.

“To go and explain what has happened and also to offer our apologies. And for those who have been killed, our condolences, and for those who have been injured as well. We have got to do it because our standing on the continent has always been high and this has lowered it quite considerably,” said Ramaphosa.

Related Stories Sept. 4, 2019 South African Singer Sho Madjozi Speaks Out as Xenophobic Attacks Spark Riots

He said the team will also visit the African Union to assure the continental body of his country’s commitment to the ideals of Pan-Africanism and African unity.

“We would not want to see that happening to our own nationals, who are in other countries around the world because South Africans have spread themselves around the world," said the president.

After the attacks in South Africa, South African businesses and embassies in Nigeria and Zambia were attacked.

Ramaphosa felt the hostility at the funeral of former Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe in Harare, where the crowd booed him throughout his speech.

Back home there is still no agreement on how to explain the recent attacks on foreign nationals.

Related Stories Sept. 10, 2019 Nigeria Will Help Repatriate 600 Citizens as Xenophobic Violence Continues in South Africa

Teboho Mashota, a human rights lawyer, referred to the attacks as clear acts of xenophobia which government should take full responsibility for.

“What is happening currently is as a result of the incitement from our government. The utterances that they have been making, blaming all the problems of the city of Jo'burg, to say it’s migrants basically. Because the streets are dirty, it’s migrants. It’s crime because of migrants," said the lawyer.

But the country’s chief justice, Mogoeng Mogoeng, insists that hunger is the cause, not xenophobia.

“Why are intellectuals who are South Africans not attacking other intellectuals who come from other African countries? Why are executives in the corporate sector not attacking Africans who come from other African countries? They have [enough] to eat. They have jobs. They have opportunities,” he said.

Related Stories Sept. 9, 2019 South Africa’s President Makes 7 Pledges to Fight Gender Violence and Xenophobia

Last week, hundreds of foreign nationals affected by the attacks in South Africa, including Zimbabweans, Mozambicans, and Nigerians, were airlifted to their home countries.

A Zimbabwean group carried home the body of a man who was burnt to death during the attacks.

Experts warn that if the South African government does not address socio-economic conditions and poor policing that allowed the attacks to happen, the violence will resurface again.