Global Citizen is a community of people like you

People who want to learn about and take action on the world’s biggest challenges. Extreme poverty ends with you.

A young boy sits on the edge of a collapsed bridge in Nhamatanda, about 100km west of Beira, Mozambique, March 21, 2019. Hundreds are dead, many more missing and thousands at risk from massive flooding in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe caused by Cyclone Idai.
Themba Hadebe/AP
Environment

Rescue and Relief Efforts Underway in Cyclone-Hit Southern Africa

The Red Cross says it is deploying two major emergency response units to the port city of Beira in Mozambique to provide services for thousands of people affected by last week’s Cyclone Idai, one of the most destructive storms to hit Southern Africa in decades.

One unit is expected to provide basic sanitation facilities for up to 20,000 people, and the other is expected to produce as much as 225,000 litres of clean water each day, enough to help 15,000 people struggling to survive the massive flooding that has followed the storm.

Jamie LeSueur, head of Red Cross operations in Mozambique, said in a statement that aid workers are most concerned about preventing the spread of waterborne disease.

She said the emergency response deliveries will help protect against that.

Helicopters are conducting food drops over villages that were destroyed and cut off from the outside world after the cyclone hit Beira, then swept inland to neighbouring Zimbabwe and Malawi. Aid officials say an untold number of survivors are clinging to treetops or are trapped on rooftops of houses that remain submerged by floodwaters.

The combined death toll in Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi has risen to at least 437 people, a number that is expected to climb as the floodwaters recede and search crews enter the damaged areas.

The UN says the official death tolls from the governments are: Mozambique, 242; Zimbabwe, 39; and Malawi, 56.

Related Stories March 20, 2019 4 Ways You Can Help the Victims of Cyclone Idai

President Filipe Nyusi of Mozambique has said he expects the death toll to exceed 1,000 in his nation alone. Mozambique began three days of official mourning Wednesday.

Aid agencies said they were prepared for the cyclone but not the massive floods that followed. Mozambique was hardest hit as a result of rivers flowing downstream from its neighbors.

In Beira, Manuel Jeque Francisco said he hopes to rebuild the private Young Leaders School that he directs. It serves 150 students from preschool through third grade.

“Since my school was all destroyed,” the 30-year-old told VOA in a phone interview, he has begun a fundraising campaign on his Facebook page.

“Just help us bring back the smiles of our students,” he asked.

The UN World Food Program said it was transporting enough aid for 600,000 people across the three nations. The UN said it has allocated $20 million from its central emergency response fund and urged other donors to contribute.

Related Stories March 12, 2019 Thomson Reuters Foundation Violence Sparks First Major Humanitarian Crisis in Burkina Faso

“Now that the flood waters are coming down, we are shifting to a different stage in the response,” said Gemma Connell, the head of office of the UN’s humanitarian regional office for Southern and Eastern Africa. “This stage is that we have to get the response that we can to everyone in need through a combination of air and on ground, but we have to do that cognizant of the restraints we face.”

She said aid workers need fuel and other essentials to keep the response operation running smoothly.

The African Union has contributed $350,000 to the three storm-stricken countries. The European Union announced an initial aid package valued at nearly $4 million. Britain and the United Arab Emirates have also promised aid. The Indian Defense Forces have sent a medical team and South Africa’s Air Force has been assisting with search and rescue operations.

The US State Department said the United States is supporting relief efforts “in coordination with our partners.” The US Agency for International Development said in a statement Wednesday that it “has mobilised $700,000 in total assistance to support emergency water, sanitation, hygiene, and shelter.

Related Stories Nov. 8, 2017 Humanitarian Aid Was Just Blocked to the Country Facing the World’s Biggest Humanitarian Crisis

In Zimbabwe’s hard-hit eastern province of Manicaland, a teacher in the city and district of Chimanimani said the cyclone has left him “totally traumatised at the moment.”

The man, who declined to give his name in his voicemail account for VOA’s Zimbabwe Service, said he was sleeping when the rain began during the night. Then came strong winds, he said.

“That wind is what brought the heavy volume of water … I don’t know how we managed to escape, but we managed to survive with the kids, but it was tough. There were other people who were with us at the school. It hurt, I don’t want to lie to you!”

The cyclone also has uprooted Mai Manzu, whose home was in Buhera, another district in Manicaland.

Related Stories Nov. 23, 2018 12-Year-Old Girl Killed by Cyclone After Being Forced to Sleep in a Shed During Her First Period

“My house was taken by Cyclone Idai,” she said in a voicemail, adding that her uncle also lost his home. Both had been staying in Gutu to help ailing relatives. While they were gone, “Everything has been washed away, including the food.”

While Zimbabwe’s President Emmerson Mnangagwa and his administration have faced criticism over an alleged lack of preparedness for and slow response to the crisis, a caller in Bulawayo expressed only gratitude.

“Really, they are trying and the guys are on the ground, trying to do everything,” a man named Mokem said in a WhatsApp voicemail to VOA’s Zimbabwe Service.

“...But of course there are some people who will always find wrong things out of everything you’ve done. I want to thank the government of Zimbabwe, I want to thank Mnangagwa for the effort. I mean, it’s evident that he’s trying, left, right and center, to help the situation.”