Heatwaves swept across the globe this week, and people in Greece and Bulgaria sought relief wherever they could find it. From protests to parades, Venezuelans took to the streets to contest President Nicolas Maduro, while Spain celebrated gay pride with plumes of vibrant colors. A displaced Syrian child carried bread at the makeshift village of Ain Issa, while another Syrian refugee sways through the swirling dust somewhere in the same camp.
From Palestine to California and places in between, Global Citizen brings you these striking images and more from scenes around the world this week.
1) Spain Pride Parade: (Above) Participants throw special colored powders in the air during the Gay Pride parade at Moll de la Fusta in Barcelona, Spain, July, 8, 2017.
2) Mosul, Iraq: Iraq's federal police members wave Iraq's national flag as they celebrate in the Old City of Mosul on July 9 after the government's announcement of the 'liberation' of the embattled city. Iraq declared victory against the Islamic State group in Mosul on July 9 after a gruelling months-long campaign, dealing the biggest defeat yet to the jihadist group.
3) Greece Heatwave: A man takes a shower at a beach of Alimos suburb, in Athens, July 12. A summer heatwave has hit Greece, with temperatures reaching a high of 102 degrees Fahrenheit in Athens.
4) Syrian Refugees: A displaced Syrian child who fled the countryside surrounding the Islamic State (IS) group's Syrian stronghold of Raqa, carries bread at a temporary camp in the village of Ain Issa on July 11.
5) Gaza: A Palestinian elderly woman sits outside her house at al-Shatee refugee camp during a heatwave in Gaza City on July 12.
6) Indonesia: Tourists and members of the Tengger tribe climb mount Bromo during the Yadnya Kasada Festival in Probolinggo on July 10. Members of the Tengger tribe who live around mount Bromo-Semeru volcano throw live offerings into the crater to honour Sang Hyang Widhi, God Almighty, on the 14th day of the Kasada Month based on the traditional Hindu lunar calendar.
7) California Wildfire: Firefighters battle a wildfire as it threatens to jump a street near Oroville, Calif., on Saturday, July 8. Evening winds drove the fire through several neighborhoods leveling homes in its path.
8) Mosul, Iraq: Iraqi boys wash a vehicle in west Mosul on July 12, a few days after the government's announcement of the 'liberation' of the embattled city from Islamic State (IS) group fighters. Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar Al-Abadi announced in Mosul earlier in the week that the campaign had ended with the defeat of IS in the city, hailing 'a victory over darkness, a victory over brutality and terrorism'.
9) Philippines: Filipino children play at a broken fishing boat in garbage filled Manila Bay in Baseco, Tondo on July 8.
10) Gaza: Palestinians play volleyball on the beach as the sun sets over Gaza City, July, 13.
11) Venezuelan Protests: Venezuelan opposition activists clash with riot police during a protest against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro in Caracas on July 10. Venezuela hit its 100th day of anti-government protests Sunday, amid uncertainty over whether the release from prison a day earlier of prominent political prisoner Leopoldo Lopez might open the way to negotiations to defuse the profound crisis gripping the country.
12) Syrian Refugees: A displaced Syrian woman who fled the countryside surrounding the Islamic State (IS) group stronghold of Raqa, walks in the dust at a temporary camp in the village of Ain Issa on July 11.
13) Bulgaria: A Bulgarian family collects tobacco using flashlights in the early morning to escape the summer heat near the village of Karchovsko, southern, Bulgaria, on July 12.
14) Trump Visits France: French President Emmanuel Macron and US President Donald Trump stand at attention during an official welcoming ceremony in the courtyard of the Invalides in Paris, Thursday, July 13. Trump is in Paris for a high profile two-day visit during which he will be the guest of honour of his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron at the annual Bastille Day parade.